Tips to Control Acid Reflux
To control acid reflux, you'll need to make some basic diet and lifestyle changes. The simple steps outlined below may be all you'll need to relieve discomfort.
Watch What You Eat
- Avoid fatty foods and spicy foods.
- Eat fewer acidic foods, such as citrus and tomato-based foods. These can increase symptoms.
- Limit drinking alcohol, caffeine, and fizzy beverages. All increase acid reflux.
- Try limiting chocolate, peppermint, and spearmint. These can worsen acid reflux in some people.
Watch When You Eat
- Avoid lying down for 3 hours after eating.
- Do not snack before going to bed.
Raise Your Head
Raising your head and upper body by 4" to 6" helps limit reflux when you're lying down. Put blocks under the head of the bed frame to raise it.
- Lose weight, if you need to.
- Don't work out near bedtime.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothes.
- Limit aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Stop smoking.