Gastritis is a painful inflammation of the stomach lining. It has a number of causes. Gastritis and its symptoms can be relieved with treatment. Work with your doctor to find ways to treat your symptoms.
When You Have Gastritis
Acids may damage the stomach lining when the built-in defenses of the stomach don't function as they should. The stomach lining can then become inflamed. When this occurs, it is called gastritis.
Causes of Gastritis
Gastritis has many causes. They may include:
- Aspirin and anti-inflammatory medications
- Tobacco use
- Alcohol use
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) bacteria
With gastritis, you may notice one or more of the following:
- A burning feeling in your upper abdomen
- Pain that occurs after eating certain foods
- Gas or a bloated feeling in your stomach
- Frequent belching
- Nausea with or without vomiting